Bloating is a frequent complaint among patients, and while it is common, it is not normal! Those of us who have experienced a huge belly after a meal know the impact it can have on our mood, comfort level, and overall quality of life. Thankfully, there are solutions. But first, we must uncover the root cause of your bloating. Here are some common causes:
- Eating a food you are sensitive or have an allergy too
- Eating when you are in a state of stress (or sympathetic dominance)
- Lack of stomach acid and digestive enzymes
- Dysbiosis or an imbalance between good and bad bacteria in the gut
- Hormonal imbalances
In order to determine the root cause in your specific situation, it is best to see a health practitioner that practices holistic medicine. They will be able to assess your symptoms and perform any relevant lab testing to determine the cause of your bloating. However, here are some safe and effective tips that most people can implement to help improve digestion:
- Take 3 slow, deep breaths before eating a meal. This will help you to activate your parasympathetic nervous system, which is vital for good digestion. Learn more about the parasympathetic nervous system and ways to activate it here.
- Start your day with warm lemon water. Not only will this help to hydrate your body after a long night’s sleep, but the lemon can help to stimulate your digestive juices to prime your body for food.
- Drink water between meals but not during meals. Drinking too much water during your meal can dilute your stomach acid and enzymes, making it more difficult for your body to digest. Drinking adequate water is important to get the bowels moving and prevent constipation.
- Eliminate foods that you are sensitive or have an allergy too. This one may be more difficult to work out on your own, unless you have clear signs that certain foods do not agree with you. However, working with a practitioner to understand the best foods to help your individual body thrive, is imperative for you to reduce bloating and feel your best.
I hope that you found this helpful! Feel free to reach out and book a complimentary 15-minute naturopathic appointment if you would like to get to the root cause of your bloating issues.